Sunday, July 09, 2006

Goal

Wow! Words to express the intense atmosphere that envelope the streets of Bukit Bintang. The street was closed to make way for one of the biggest event in the world. Crowds of people flock to this meeting point in support of their favourite team, the Azzuris and the Les Blues. Flags were raised, chants were heard, faces were painted and sounds of blowhorns were some of the things that were emminent throughout the night. It was a mind boggling affair, an experience that left me breathless. The only regret I had in the midst of the event was leaving home without a camera or a video. This would indeed be a haven for photo or video enthusiast. The myriads of people and activity would indeed be picture perfect.

Jam packed. There was so many people at this Hotlink event. I had a choice to either watch the finals at Bukit Bintang or Asia Cafe where Tiger was sponsoring the affair. My inital plan was to sit down, have a cup of drink and enjoy the adrenaline that comes with watching the finals. Asia Cafe would seem a perfect choice. After much coaxing from Mat, I was in downtown KL with Kelvin, Mat and fellow revellers.

Prior to the game, there were many highlights planned for the night. We manage to get into the Hotlink zone upon purchasing Hotlink topup cards. Got myself a RM60 topup to obtain a dual pass for both myself and Mat. Kel got a 30. We made our way to the front to indulge in the events that were lined up. Jakeman and Skeletor were on stage to spin some tracks. It was unbelievable. The music was awesome as the DJs mix and match music that got the crowd in a "feng tau' mood. People were dancing and shaking their bodies. It was like being in a club, an outdoor one. The music did got me hype up for a while as I followed the rhythm and beats of the remixes. That lasted for just a while as tiredness slowly weared down due to futsal in evening. I immediately lost momentum when it was time for US band "Flipsyde" was jamming the stage. I just stood motionless for most of the time as I desperate seek to save some energy for the match, the reason why I was here initially. It seems like a good experience but I wouldn't want to come again. Despite the happening, I knew this was not my cup of tea. I would rather watch the World cup in four years time over a cup of teh tarik then to be surrounded by sweaty people and cigarette smoke. Its no wonder why clubbing ain't my type of activity. It's happening at first but I would soon get tired of it.

The match started. Ball began to zig zag around the field. The initial part of the game seem sloppy as each team tried to get the momentum going and organise themselves around the field. The Italians seems to settled much quicker. They were much the better team in first half. Yet, my support was to the French who were the underdogs going into this match. The half time lecture seem to do the trick as they control the game and prevented the Italians from any chance of shooting on goal. A header to Luca Toni would have sealed the match for the Azzuris but their attempt did not fool the linesman as the French kept their backline in place and an offside was shown. Leveled at 1-1 after a surprising penalty by Zizau and an unmarked Metarazzi header seem to bring the match to extra time. Penalties were looming near. Out of the blue, the midfield maestro did an unbelievable act that left everyone dumbfounded. The man who would sweep through oncoming defence seems to cast doubt over his ability especially when this would be the last game of his career. I was like "Why?". It seems like he was interogated. Some say he was intimidated, others say his nipples got pitch and there was mentioned of family that cause that the uproar. No one can say for sure but the two players. It was the end for Zizau as he left the pitch.

The wizard was in the dressing room. Can the French seal the game after a marvelous second half? Nope. A missed by Trezequet was enough to hand the cup to Italy. A wait of 12 years was repaid. I was disappointed yet applauded Cannavaro for his sublime defending, the best I seen in the tournament. Strikers or midfielders usually take centrestage but it would be a change as the defender safely obtained victory.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Picture courtesy from ESPN Soccernet

As we left to our cars, cars were zooming past us each shouting "Italia, Italia!" I felt that I was indeed in Italy. We celebrated the victory like true blue Italiano. Flags were waived with shouts of joy circulating the skies. Italy had won. You did well my dear French. Henry, you made every Arsenal fan proud. I was one of them.

No comments: