Wednesday, July 07, 2004

My Helping of Motion Pictures

I had the priviledge of previewing a couple of movies during the holidays and after my exams. It has been some time since I actually sat down and watched a movie in its entirety. Here are some of my helpings:

Shrek 2



I made two trips to watch this movie, one intentional and the other unitentional. It was a fun movie to watch and I would say it is a cartoon of parodies. If you notice throughout the show, there were many scenes related movies and trademarks added into the film. One could not have imagine what an interesting sequel this must have been as not many sequel are able to be on par or better than the previous effort. The characters and storyline manage to catch my attention. Laughter seems to be the best medicine to die hard Shrek fans as imitation and jokes made Shrek stand out among the rest.

Rating : *****

The Hours



This would seem like an award winning show but to me it was a show that was not worth watching. It tells about the story of 3 ladies i different timeline, each relating to one another in difference scences. Lesbianism seem to be profoundly exhibited throughout the show. Besides that, depression seem to a message amplified by the director that it becomes a very tormenting show to watch. A show that would remain under the stack of movies with the tag "Don't waste your time".

Rating : **

The Prince & Me



If you like a fantasy story where a girl dreams of a prince sweeping her off her feet, this would be a show to see. As a self professed Julia Stiles fan, it was interesting to see her in it although she did not exhuberate her acting skills to its full potential compared to other films like "10 Things I Hate About You". However, its a nice show to watch and relax as there isn't much thinking to do as the story line is pretty simple and direct. In summary, a rich prince falling for a commoner girl. Sounds familiar?

Rating : ***

13 Going on 30



It was my first time seeing Jennifer Garner acting in a movie. I must admit that she is quite good and would I say strike a very interesting character in this show. Its about a girls birthday wish to turn from 13 and 30. Her dreams came true and she travelled back into the future to see herself as a 30 year old magazine editor who had messed up her life. Simplicity made her change her way of life and it was good to see that she tried her best to make her life worthy of something. And as any love story would be, it always has a guy in it, which is her childhood best friend. Though she tried to rebuild her life, she was not able to get her true love. She goes back from where she came from and decided to change history for the better which ended with her marrying her childhood sweetheart. An interesting to watch.

Rating : ****

You Got Served



My eyes nearly pop up and I was disbelieve throughout the show when I saw the amazing dance steps which was exhibited throughout the entire show. It was dance steps all the way from the beginning to the end. This movies tells about a group battling among other crews (a term used for a dancing group) who battle their way from the underground to the famed bounce battle in which they would be accorded a stint in Lil' Kim music video. It was seriously interesting to see the choreograph dance steps which may seem intimidating to me as I can't imagine myself doing it though I wish I could. The storyline was pretty shallow and it could bored the audience who aren't into the dancing element of the show. To me, I give them a high 4 for its effort.

Rating : ****

Honey



I truly enjoyed this movie not because of Jessica Alba (Boy, she is hot!) but because it was a very well balance dance movie. There weren't as much flamboyant dance steps as compared to "You Got Served" but there was an equal balance from its storyline, characters and dance presentation. Lil Bow Wow wasn't impressive in its acting debut. I truly like the ending presentation in which the dance was a combination of street, ballet and tap dancing. The show did remind me of my dreams of setting up a youth centre such as this, serving the community by opening it up the kids and the youths to hang out in a safe environment. I had some visual describtion in my lil head but have yet to pen it down in drawing.

Rating : *****

Eurotrip & Roadtrip



I would have to admit that there is not much expectation from a movie such as this. Corny storyline, horny jokes and an exhibition of flesh with a number of shots of boobies and penises. It is simply a movie which I would call in Chinese, "ho mo" translated "very cheesy". It tell of the journey of Scott to Berlin in search of his penpal, Mika due to some gender misunderstanding. However, I would rate it higher than Road Trip for particulat scene that made me laugh till my head crack open. It was a scene where there was a battle of the best robot movement between Scott and a French street performer.

Rating : ***

No comments: