Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Tired But Blessed

Tired. That was how i felt when I left work at 1am in the morning, the latest I have been at work. My shift had ended at 930pm. I could have gone back. Looking at the mails, I knew I couldn't. Who would finish it? Who would even clear half of it? Holidays were looming around the corner. Many will be away leaving the team barely empty. Month end was near. Backlogs were starting to build up even having cleared the mails during the weekend. I had to stay to clear it.

Ever since I had began working, the idea of teamwork have always been in my mind. It is interesting to see how each and everyone of the team plays an important. Initiative to stay up to clear the mail request means having lesser mails for the next day for everyone. Not carrying out your task effectively means leaving a trail of mails for others to deal with. We all depend on one another. It does not take one person to run a team neither does it take a team to be ran by one person. It involves people, a community, a group to produce results.

Where do I fit in as team? What can I do as a team member?

As far as I know, I would usually try to step up the plate even if would mean sacrificing my time. Fortunately, I was still single to be able to stay up late and work. Less I have a relationship or even venture in marriage with a family at hand, I do not think I would be able to sacrifice that amount of time. Time would be spend with love ones and building the family. Sometimes, its lonely when your style of work differs from the rest. I have gotten to know how each and everyone of my team member work, excluding the newbies that just came in. It is interesting how each and everyone of us are different. We can't expect others to be the same as we do. All we can hope for is someone who can walk the road with us and help us. Responsibility. This was a reason why I stayed back.

Though I was tired, I found it a joy and a blessing. A blessing to be able to get to know one of my collegue who was in the eBanking team. It is hard to meet these guys as they work odd hours. Staying up late allowed me to have a conversation with him and I got to know him better. The last that I could remember really speaking to him was when I wanted to buy some flowers from Him. A string of flowers for our DSIT dinner. I was impressed when he told me that he had around six flower shop in KL. A family business. Now, I know that he helps runs an academy that offers Oracle training and had been to Russia for two months to set up the first level support there. It was an experience for him to be in thick snow and living below 0 degrees. Besides, it was also a culture shock for him to witness a strip show during their company dinner. There were loads of stories that he wanted to tell. People that he had met along the way that were geniuses in their own respective fields. The funny thing is, he still keep in touch with them. How often do we do that, I wonder? A point to be taken and taken action on.

I knew I could go on talking to him the whole night. However, the ever increasing mail request in my mailbox indicated that I needed to get back to work and get back home for a good night's rest.

No comments: