Monday, June 07, 2004



Creating KANDO Together

Inspiring heart and spirit. The first time I heard this simple yet dynamic word was when I attended the Yamaha 30th Anniversary Endorsee Concert. It was a concert organise that feature one of the top musicians in Malaysia.



At first, I was skeptical of attending this concert though my mum persuaded me countless times to go for it. I didn't feel that it was worth the money although it was cheap. However, I gave into my mum persuasion and she got the whole family going for it. I realised then after the show that it was certainly a good move and I thank my mum for taking the effort to persuade me to go. She didn't want me to miss an oppurtunity such as this to see many great musicians on the same stage. Besides, it is certainly one of the best deal I have seen so far. RM30 to see acclain musicians on stage.

It was one of the rare moments where I got to see 3 drummers performing together on the same stage. Akira Jimbo, John Thomas and Jerry Felix. I was captivated by the 3 guitarist namely Abdul Samad, Jose Thomas and Hillary Ang doing battle on stage. In came, Roger Wang, the best solo acoustic guitarish skillfully bridging the chords and plucking the notes at his customed made bodyless guitar that included some effects as well. Next up, was the group we had been waiting. Akira Jimbo and Minoru Mukaiya from the famous fusion band Casiopea. With Akira on drums and Minoru on sync, there were able to churn up the music as if a full band was playing. Technology was the reason there were able to fill in the gaps. The highlight of the night for me was certainly the solo performance by Akira Jimbo on drums playing to the sound of Mission Impossible. Technology has helped in expanding the potential of drums to not only keeping the beat but also to play the rhythm. This has indeed widen the creativity of playing drums. 6 drum pads connected to the newest range of triggers help create rhythm and beat. After the individual essemble, everyone converge back on stage to present 2 songs together. 3 drummer, 4 guitarist, a bassist, 2 keyboardist, a DJ and 3 singers. What a sight!

Amidst the the gradeur of this whole event, I was happy to see a special someone in person for the very first time. I spotted from afar and was happy to know that prediction was right. She was non other than the girl I have a crush on, Marion from the 8TV Quickie fame. This was the first time I have seen her live on stage. She was definitely taller in person than on TV and alot more leaner as well. Guess, people do look abit fatter on screen that off screen. She was the MC of the night. Overall, she was alright but there are much more rooms of improvement considering the little blunder she made at the end when she forgot to credit Minoru Mukaiya. After the show, I had tried to catch her in person hopefully a closeup but she was nowhere in sight to my dismay. Without any expectation, I managed to spot her in the carpark and was tailing her awhile for a moment. It was a short moment but it was worthwhile to see her in person.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a Marion fanatic but I think she is one person I would like to get to know in person one day. I find her attractive, charismatic, funny and confident in nature. She would be someone I find the closest match to my dream girl. I've always like a cool and happening girl. Short hair seem to take a liking as well. Besides that, she strike me as someone who is into the arts or the entertainment scene. I feel that this is somewhat an opposite of me or should I say my alter ego, someone I would like to get to know. In reality, I don't think I would be able to meet someone like that and sometimes dreams will only remain a dream unless a miracle happens.:D

My Thoughts As A CF Committee

It was interesting for me when I attended the committee meeting yesterday. I had learn alot just by sitting in, giving my opinion and silently disagreeing to certain opinions that were brought. It certainly amazing to see that each and everyone of us have different personalities and characteristics. I would say it is miracle to see how we are able to work together as a committee despite our varied difference. Some were willingly giving their opinions while some sat with silence. I sat in silence at the very later part of the meeting. I realise that at times I have things to say which I choose not to say at all looking at the different personalities of people involve and to avoid dragging the meeting further. There are times I wish that the meetings would be more serious and include God in the picture. A lot of our opinions and suggestion seem to display an inward perspective to things. We tend to think about ourselves rather than the CF as a whole. We take responsibilities if we are able to cope with it having the fear that we would burned out.

I sometimes question myself why each and everyone of us agree at the very first place to commit ourselves in serving as a committee. I do agree that at times we need to take in consideration the main purpose why we are in university which is to do well in our studies yet we forget to focus on maintaining a balance for both studies and CF. Its saddening to see people who give excuses where studies is a factor of their commitment yet see them at times spending countless time enjoying themselves. To me, it sounds so contradictory. I am rather worried of the leadership of the committee. What I can do right now is to complement them yet at the same time know when to step in and say no to certain responsibilites. At times, I fear that I would be taken for granted. This feeling is not coming from me alone but others as well. This is why we are afraid of taking up responsibilities. Its ironic to see each of us pointing fingers at someone but never realise we have four other fingers pointing back at us. Guess, thats one of the danger signs we need to look out for as leaders. It easier to allocate then take up the responsibility ourselves. This is what I find so contradictory.

At this moment, I have decided to talk less and help more in areas that lacks people initiating in. One of the areas is talking to other people in CF. I find the click getting bigger yet disapprove of following and comforming to a group that label themselves happening "Christian". I feel leftout at times even when I have already attained a senior position. It is probably my nature to remain an individual who goes around filling in spaces especially talking to those who are dee quiet yet may surprised you with their kept secrets. I foresee this year would be a very monotous year looking at how the rest of the comms view it to be. There isn't any imagination or ambitious thought let alone taking a step of faith to organise something big. Its a whole new perspective that I have to sink in and to complement though my thoughts differ. Its not all about self now but its more about glorifying Him in our ways.

No comments: