Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Sarawak Mission Trip : Engsiring (Day 3 & 4)

We made our way early to reached Julau, the town before we made our way to the interiors by boat. There we bought all the last minute things that we could get our hands on such as lunch, petrol and not forgetting our ice cream.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It was quite interesting to see the petrol kiosk in this area. You wouldn't see a petrok kiosk but more or a petrol shed.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

We made our way thereafter to Entabai, a place where the road ends and the river takes over. There, we got our bags down to the little pier where we would board the long boat which would bring us to our destination.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

As I got into the boat and travelled along the river, I was amazed at the scenery that was before me. The lush greenery surrounds the banks of the river creating an overcast over me at certain streches. It was unbelievable. I couldn't take my eyes of the view. It was so enchanting. Here are some captures of it.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The houses along the river.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

A graveyard on the slope of the hill.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

We made a sudden stop at one of the rocky patches for lunch.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

As soon as we landed, it began to pour. The other group was far behind us. They had apparently stopped by to meet a group of people. We had apparently passed these group of people on the way. They appear scary as there kept calling us to come and join them. The other group had to stopped as Pastor Khanyan knew them. His father was there. The group told us their frightening encounter as the group of men had invited them to drink tuak. They appear drunk. Fortunately, nothing happened and they were able to meet us back again.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

We soon arrived at our first destination, Engsiring. It was around two hours journey from Entabai. Apparently, the trip here was much shorter than last year. This could be due to the high waters that allowed us to go through without having to come down from the boat much to push the boat. There, we were given a warm welcome from the people of Engsiring. I felt at home immediately there. I do not know why but I felt welcome to this place.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The people were very hospitable. As soon as we reached and after all the procession, we were served tea. One of the things that I had to learn to be accustomed to is addressing the people. I would need to address the men as "apai" and the ladies as "inai". Besides I had my hands at utilising some of the Iban words that I had learned here. It was mind boggling at times but interesting as well.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

During this tea time, all of us had a chance to do the Ngajat. The Ngajat is a traditional Iban dance which was actually a war dance done in previous times before they went out to do head hunting. Although head hunting is a thing of the pass, the dance still remain part of the Iban culture. I had a chance to try it out with a couple of fellow friends. We were more like helpless duckling trying to move around. I was very captivated by one of the man there who did a remarkable ngajat with full of grace.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

After unpacking our stuff, we decided to mingle around with the people there. What better way then to play takraw with them. I have not really played takraw before but it was really fun going at it for the first time.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Then, it was off to the river to have a bath. I couldn't wait to have my bath in the river. It would be my very first time. As I went in, the water was cold and refreshing. There was kind of a shy feeling as I had to bathe with other guys who were only down with their underwears. It was rather awkward, though I got used to it after awhile. There were still times when I wasn't that comfortable and I would say my first bath wasn't that clean but it was fun.

Here are some captures of our activities and interesting things there there,

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The dance.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Temptation of Jesus mime.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Sitting around and having tea.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The people listening to the sermon being preached.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
An apai crafting some word work.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Singing Iban songs while waiting for rain to subside to leave for Masit.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Pastor Khanyan, his wife and kids.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This is Pastor Khanyan's kid which I totally adore and enjoyed playing with. I guess both of us do show interest withone another.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Group picture with the people in Engsiring.

One of the things I will truly remember of Engsiring the most is the food. I enjoyed myself totally by the local dishes served here. Some of the dishes that I totally like was the "Pucuk Keladi", "Rebung", "Babi Buluh" and "Sarawak Apple".

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

As we began to leave, some of the residents of Engsiring took the time to come down with us to say farewell. It was really interesting and touching at the same time to see them do that. I could see that some of them had tears in their eyes as we left. Though I had wished that I could stay longer, but we had to go on with our itenary. Next stop, Masit.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

No comments: