Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Sarawak Mission Trip : Masit (Day 4 & 5)

Clear water. This was the scene that I saw when we reached at Masit. We had just reached a fork where we made a right turn that would lead us to out next destination. The sight that I saw before me was outstanding. I had not seen such clear water before. It was so clear that I could see the rocks beneath me and little fishes swimming around trying to get away from the boat. We had to disembark the boat and push it towards the entrance of the place. Then, it started to drizzle. We unload our bags and carry them on our backs. It would be the first for us to carry them in such manner as we would need to hike up to the little village called Masit situated above a small hill.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The hike was tiring especially with the load on our bags. There were certain times during the hike that my legs nearly gave way. Sweat was dripping all over my face that it was hard to see coupled with rain water as well. It was very comfortable especially when we were drenched and tired. We finally reached the steps of the house, by God's grace although most of us were half dead. It was an interesting sight to see the place entirely constructed of wood. As we entered the house, the people welcome us into their homes eventhough we were dripping wet. I was surprised to see the place in a very neat environment.

We laid our bags down and proceeded to the nearest toilet for our bath. I was surprised when I and the guys were ushered to an open air bathroom. It was interesting yet uncomfortable at first. However, it didn't bother me as I was so eager just to have a bath. Imagine bathing once a day. The water was cool and refreshing. It was also nice to be under the rain bathing. So, all the guys, partially naked had our baths together while washing our clothes as well. The view was awesome. I wouldn't mind having an ourdoor shower if the view was a nice as what I saw. In addition to that, the bathroom was equally the same. The toilet bowl was face in such a way that there was a huge opening that allowed anyone using it to have a good view of the surrounding. It was definitely awkward but who cares if the view was so awesome. I'm just hoping that no one had a view of me.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

One of the interesting person I met in this house, was an old Aki. He was so hospitable or maybe too hospitable that if he see you sipping from your cup, he will come over and top it up for you. You could hardly drink finish your drink and if you would, he would top it up for you. He did it for everyone. At the end of the day, I had almost close to 8 glasses of drink in one sitting. Imagine the need to run to the toilet to displace the excess of water. Hospitality. Yes this is one of the most obvious thing I would remember of this place. The people would just see to the needs of the guest there. I was equally touched when the host of the house that the guys were staying actually came out with clothes hanger and handed them to us to hang our damp clothes. Besides that, they even prepared a place for us to sleep, equipped with mattresses and pillow. I hardly even need to use my sleeping bag except as a head rest. The portion of food they provided was so much that I could barely have space to fill all of it.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

We were quite blessed to be able to pray for someone at this long house. There was this man who had been partially paralysed due to an unfortunate accident. He was a very active man before and had become paralysed after falling down from a tree. It has been a few years already and there seem to be not much hope. However, he has been constantly praying for healing and by God's grace would be heal one day. We went around him a couple of times to pray for him and his family. Initially, some of us felt there was a big burden in the house but I believe that praise and worship help to bring peace into the house. This was exactly what we did when we were at Akun house in Sarikei.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Besides that, one of the things that I captivated of when I was here were the mats. I was totally in awe by the craftmanship of the making of the mats. Besides that, some of the mats were very cooling. According to them, they were made from the finest rattan found in the deep jungles. When ask if they would sell it, they said that even if they were given RM1000 for it, they wouldn't trade it for money. It goes to show that money can't buy everything or money isn't the most important thing in the world.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

No comments: