Friday, January 28, 2005

Catching Up, Keeping In Touch

I was speaking to my sister the other day about people that we would like to catch up and keep in touch. Most of the people that we were refering to were mainly our seniors whom we have not seen for quite some time. It was hard to meet up let alone make an appointment with them due to their busy schedules of work and also church. We plan to meet up with some of them hopefully for dinner before the Chinese New Year mainly to catch up and keep in touch.

During this semester, I have been putting some effort in catching up with some people that I know. It may be a graduates syndrome but I wanted to meet up with some of them before I graduate and become to overly absorbed in my work that I do not have time to catch up with them. I wish I could catch up with everyone that I had come to know during my time in MMU but I believe it is quite imposible considering the reality of doing so. Therefore, I have narrow down to certain group of people that I would like to keep in touch in thefuture and also to know them a little bit more.

However, the idea of catching up and keeping in touch can be difficult at times. Many times I try to arrange a time to meet up with some people for lunch or dinner, the plans never seem to take place. At times, you feel frustrated at times even when you take the initiative to do. In this time, I notice two responses to this. Either the person you are calling would initiate to meet or the person would wait for you to make that initiative again. It gives me great joy to have the previous as there is a mutual need to keep in touch rather than one making the initiative alone. Sometimes I wonder whom should I keep in touch. Different people came to mind. People whom I know I would be able to continue to build on the friendship that we have and mutually wanting to continue that friendship.

In my lifetime, I have met many people. People whom I had grown close to, people whom I had grown away from. As we go through life, we meet and encounter different people in our life. People who encourage and influence us to become who we really are. I have grown to appreciate those people and am willing to take the initiative to keep in touch with them. There are many times when circumstances arise that it is sometimes hard to be close with one another. Distance, difference places of work, different priorities in life and different views in frienship. We all grow and sometimes growing up can means growing away from one another because of these differences. Do I consider these differences in order to keep in touch? Its hard to decide but all I know I have a group of people I truly would love to keep in touch with and hope that by doing so, the friendship that we have with one another will grow by leaps and bounds. If you are someone I am taking initiative in keeping in touch with, I am doing so because you are special in my life and I appreciate you. Friends forever!

No comments: