Monday, January 24, 2005

Picking Apples

Apples? It seem to be the theme for me during the past weekend. I was shocked to see an Apple when my parents came down to KL after visiting my uncle. Its small and cute. "Hint Hint". To be revealed later. Anyway, I was totally speechless and thank God for His blessings again.

During the weekend, my Auntie Carol came down during the weekend with the kids and her good friend, Auntie Anne from NZ. Auntie Pam came over to my grandparents place and we had lunch together with my family as well. I was suppose to head down to Malacca with Daniel and Esther to join the church youths who were there on their retreat but had to tell Daniel that morning that I couldn't make it. Well, I guess I did miss the excitement and fun they had over there but I was fortunate not to miss my grandma's Buah Keluak, my favourite dish.

While we were all sitting around before lunch, Auntie Anne began telling us a little of the life in NZ. She had been over there for about a year and half and was settling in well. When she realise that my sister and I were graduating soon, she quickly recommended us to go to NZ. It seems a little expensive to think about a holiday in NZ but she suggested that we could work there first before going on a backpacking journey around NZ. Apparently the NZ government have a memorendum of understanding between the Malaysian government that allows people below the age of 30 to stay in the country as long as nine months. It also requires allows one to come back after nine months as well. During this period of time, one can work in the fruit orchards.

It may be hard labour considering one spending an approximately nine hours a day plucking apples, berries or grapes but the income from it is worth it. Imagine getting paid $10 per hour that would amount to $90 a day, $ 540 for 6 days per week and $ 2160 per month. By converting it to Malaysian ringgit since NZ dolar is around 2.8 or 3, it would amont to almost RM6480 per month. The figures is amazing. Besides, there even provide food and shelter while you work there.

There have been plans to go on holiday after I graduate. I have been always wanted to tour East Malaysia that includes Sabah and Sarawak for about a month. One of the reasons that I want to go is to attend the annual Rainforest Festival in Kuching which is approaching its eighth year. There were even some plans to visit some of the small villages in the interior where the previous mission trip had been. Besides that, my friends also invited me to backpack in China. Other than that, there is IF camp which I plan to go and also mission trip which I can't decide to go at this moment. So many places to go, so many decisions to make in which place to choose and so much money that it would incur if I am going for all which I doubt I would be able to even if I wanted to. However, I still have the idea of going to NZ to pick apples which seem pretty interesting to me and another area I could consider as well.

No comments: