Monday, February 21, 2005

80

A number that many would hope of reaching in their life. One such person that have reached that age is my beloved grandpa. He turned 80 on 19 February while my grandma turned 71 the day after. A birthday celebration back to back.

My aunt Carol decided to plan for this special occasion about 3 months back. It would not be a big scale celebration like those we read of in the newspaper where relatives from all over the world would return for this auspicious. We decided to have a small occasion instead by inviting some relatives over, those who were close to my grandpa. This celebration took place at the Kota Permai Golf and Country Resort at Kota Kemuning at Restoran South Sea. We had four tables all together.

Food was soon served thereafter. Our list of dishes included Yee Sang, Four Season, Sweet Curry (Vietnamese) Prawns, Fried Baby Spinach, Assam Fish, Mango Chicken and Mango Sago. Besides that, we had two cakes from Secret Recipe, Cheese Cake and Blueberry Cake. All the portions were huge and I was particularly surprise when the table that were occupied with kids finished the whole plate of prawn when some of us barely finish half of it. I was motionless at times due to the full stomach. There was simply not a single space left that I could stuff myself with. I guess the food from Chinese New Year still lingers in my stomach.

During the whole dinner, I was glad to see my grandpa very happy. His face seem to light up during the entire dinner. He was happy to celebrate his birthday with his family and see so many people celebrating with him. It was simply a good day.

I have always had a high respect for my grandpa. At the age of 80, he is still very active though not as alert as before. He used to play tennis every evening but have recently discountinued. Now, he spends his time tending to his garden and is still actively involved in the Association for the Disabled people. Besides, he still drives around town to do his shopping. I have learned much from him especially in his hospitality where he is ever ready to open his house for guest and relative to visit, his patience and independance. I am glad to have a grandpa like him and will always treasure this time I have with him. Happy Birthday Yeh Yeh!

No comments: