Friday, February 18, 2005

BSAD

Brothers and Sisters Appreciation Day (BSAD) is once again celebrated in CF in conjunction with Valentine Day which happened to fall on the day before. It is a day where the both sisters and brothers would prepare something special to appreciate each other.

I do not how the sisters when about their preparation for the guys, but I could give you a glimpse as to how we guys prepared. Initially, I decided not to be involve so much in preparing for this day. This was to allow the juniors to take up the responsibility of organising it and I participating in it. This was not the case as many juniors who were given the task to do it decided to call it off the last minute and the organiser was left with no choice but to ask my friend Terry to come out with something for the sisters. Both Terry and I had initially wanted to do something for the sisters which is to present a sketch that Terry had done previously in his church the year before. We wanted to add to the other performances that were supposedly to be organised. One thing let to another and Terry was given the responsibility to do the sketch and also come out with the song. Our initial plan to help out turned out to be a responsibility passed down to us. It was quite sad to see not many juniors wanting to do something for the sisters on this special day. I wonder how it would be like in the years to come.

Anyway, Terry and I got ourselves prepared on the sketch on Tuedays morning. There was not much of preparation needed as the the script was already at hand. Terry then prepared the necessary things needed for the sketch like the power point presentation, the clip board with the script in enlarged letterings and the "Brother" and "Sister" tag that we had to place in front of us to differentiate the roles we were goin to play. We then got ourselves an empty tutotial room and began our run through.

The night soon came. We had some visitors from UNITEN joining us for the night. The sisters presented their thing, a spoof to the reality show, "Queer Eye for A Straight Guy". Then, it was time for them to "sabo: us by displaying their skills in hairstyling. All the guys had to had their hairs soaked in coloured gel and styled in a way that we could never have tried or think of. It was quite fun as I got to see the rest of the guys hair in a particular. I personally like the Lenard's and Ken's. Seeing the treatment that the girls had for the guys, ideas were soon brewing in our minds to "sabo" them back. Anyway, I guess the softer side of the guys got the better of us and all we did was gather them into the dark room and fed them with jelly. This was followed by a game of busting of the balloons that the sister had to prevent the guys from attacking it.

Our sketch came thereafter as a punishment for the guys not being able to burst all the ballons. (Actually, it was a reason for us come in with the presentation.) The sketch was about two professors presenting a research paper on the species we call as "Sisters" in the insect world. We then change our roles alternatively into girl and guy to show an current example of what we meant. I had hope that the sisters enjoyed the sketch or more so understand what we tried to bring across. I asked my sister after it about her comments of the sketch. She said that she understoof what the sketch meant (PHEW..thank God!) and the script was not an easy story to think of. However, she did mention about my acting and heard comments from the people that were around her that I was acting abit gayish. I guess she actually meant during the part when I had to act as a girl and display all the feminine characteristics that I could think of in my head. It was just a way of getting into the role, I guess.

It has always been a joy for both Terry and myself to come out with sketches. I guess this was partly due to our interest in films and also the influence we got from joining theatre as part of our co-curiculum subject. Its nice to bring across a message to people through a different mode of communication like theatre. I hope that it will spur me on into working with other messages in mind, hopefully a full length drama for Easter someday.

No comments: