Friday, February 04, 2005

The Crippling Effect

It has been quite a lazy week for me. I had been having difficulty waking up from my bed every morning. It is not that I had not awaken but I had intentionally gone back to bed. This has became a habit for me not only recently but for quite a while. I would wake up by the sound of the alarm clock, switch it off, return to sleep back for an hour or two and waking up late knowing I should be up early preparing myself to go to campus to do my work. In the end, I realise that half the morning is practically gone and I would only be able to do some of my work in the second half of the day. It seems time had just passed by so very quickly and I have wasted quite an amount of it lazying around.

What am I doing? What is the problem? I could only think of it as laziness. Laziness. A common word to many and an action so regularly practiced that it becomes a routine in our daily life. I have heard much about laziness this week and I could personally relate to that lifestyle. A lifestyle? Yes, a lifestyle. An action that we regularly do that we do not do anything at all. It seems time passes by so quickly. How true is the saying that time waits for no man. And wait it does not yet it seems to become even quicker than we would have imagine. A second becomes a minute, a minute becomes an hour, an hour becomes a day, a day becomes a month and a month becomes a year. 2004 has passed away, 2005 have come. The month of January is gone and we are in February.

I asked myself at times what I have done or accomplished during this passing of time. There seem to be nothing much. I look at the times I spend throughout the month of January. Was there more that I could have accomplished of done? 31 days had passed by so very quickly but yet nothing solid was accomplished. I asked myself where has the time gone. The answer I knew. It had all gone down to laziness. What am I to do with this common lifestyle?

Its easy to comform to laziness, its difficult to break away from it. We spend much of the time knowing about it yet spending no time dealing with it. I am guilty. It seems that time is going by quickly and many times I missed it. I do not do the things I say I would do, I am not at a place when I should be, I should have done something but I had just missed that chance of doing it. Laziness. A crippling lifestyle that I and many can relate to.

I reflected on it before the end of January and knew I had to do something about it. It was not only taking away my time to do things such as cleaning the house, reading my unfinished book or taking time to do my quiet time. Sometimes, it goes to the extent of reaching my class late, not being able to make time to meet up with someone, finish my schedule task or take some time off to rest and be alone. I hope to be able to change myself this month and hope it starts with getting out of bed on time.

No comments: