Sunday, April 10, 2005

A Mission Banquet

I went back for the weekend after having completed my exams earlier that most of my comrades. It was Friday. My church had invited a speaker over from Hong Kong. His name was Rev. Dr. David Wang. This middle age bespectacled man who was partially bald stood up from his seat and approach the congregration. As soon as he spoke, his voice had caught my attention. I was really captivated by the way he spoke, the command of English which he conversed in and the style of presentation that seem to capture the audience. It reminded me of how theatrical actors presented their stories on stage.

Well, I believe he was not a stage actor but had spend most of his life on missions. Spreading the gospel to the people in mainland china. He was a Chinese who had migrated to Hong Kong during the Cultural Revolution. However, he was constantly in contact with China. Thus, he founded Asian Outreach, a mission body who travel around Asia to spread the gospel.

It was really interesting to hear his account on the experience of the underground church where a group of people who gather in a small place to have church. Christianity was not openly practice and they had to do it in hiding less be caught by authorities and send to jail. I was really amazed to hear of the stories he told and how much the people suffered just to hear the gospel or even obtain a page from the Bible.

On Sunday, I was invited to attend Asian Outreach Fund Raising Dinner at Restaurant Ming Kok. This was because our church music team was invited to conduct the praise and worship and I was called to play the drums, an electric one that was borrowed from Michael. Thus, I attended the function without paying. There were many people present at the dinner. I wasn't sure at first whether it was a dinner hosted by the Seremban churches or an overall dinner which they had planned to have it in Seremban. At the end of the day, I heard that it was an inter denominational gathering, the largest in Seremban comprising of 14 churches. It really does show the support the Seremban churches give towards missions. We were presented by a video montage of the work by Asian Outreach. Besides that, Rev. Dr. David Wang gave a sermon as well. It was rather interesting to attend my ver first Mission Banquet. Talk about gathering people and raising fund. It seems the best way to do that was to have food. Truly Malaysian.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Rev. Dr. David Wang speaking in church

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Rev. Dr. David Wang speaking to those who attended the dinner

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The people in the hall, around 80 tables

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The book I bought from him which I am currently reading

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The signature on the front cover of the book

No comments: