Friday, August 12, 2005

Gol & Gincu

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

I went to watch Gol & Gincu with Peaky. There was no expectation of the movie at all, just that she mention that it was a film that could be compared with Sepet. I decided to go and have alook at it since I was free. As I sat back and watch it in a near empty cinema place on the opening day of the show, I was happy with what I saw and enjoyed the 1 hour and 40 minutes production. I was utterly impressed with the story, the characters in the movie, the videography and how they incorporated advertisement into the movie. One of the view scenes I particularly like was the angle taken in the futsal court toilet, the dream that Putri had of her and Shasha battling it out on the field and the moment when Putri wept tears of frustration closeup. I was impressed. Impressed with the quality and the message that came across from the movie.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It is time to see Malaysian movies rising to the occasion and producing more quality movies, movies that Malaysians were regarded for in the 50s especially during the P. Ramlee era. I was happy to see films such as Gol dan Gincu rising to the challenge after the success of Sepet. I can't wait to see the upcoming sequal to Sepet called Gubra and the many movies that independant film makers in Malaysia is working on at the moment. There is a lot of talent out there. It is whether we recognise them and support them with hope that Malaysian movies may one day appeal to the international audience.

A summary of the movie.

Reviews : Malay Mail, The Star, Jeff Ooi, As Suanie Sees It and Midnite Lily's

No comments: