Thursday, August 18, 2005

My Thoughts On Blogs

Privacy has seems to be an issue when it comes to blogging. Many are afraid that what they write on their blogs will be read by people whom they do not want them reading in the first place. Details about their life that seems sensitive or private are not posted up. They restrict only having to post certains things. However, some stop blogging entirely after realising that their blogs are read by the masses. The freedom of writing has turn into to fear. Fear of wanting to express their thoughts or more so be themselves. However, there is no stopping people from reading blogs as it is posted on the world wide web. A place where all can be found and even if you can't find them, there is always the trusted Google to help you with that. With as much privacy functions that some blogs site try to provide for their customers, surfers will only need a group of characters to find the URL for the blog sites.

This has been one of the discussion brought upon by the mission group in their attempt to set up a blog site to discuss certain issues pertaining to the spiritual aspects. There was a suggestion to have each one of us read a book from the Bible or a book where we can discuss and share our views after such reading. It was a good idea for one of them to suggest a blog as a replacement to the mailing list which have filled our mail box to the brink. However, thanks to large storage offered by Yahoo Mail and Gmail, we are able to still accomadate such flooding. It is good to still be able to communicate even after the missions. However, privacy seems to be an issue that some take seriously even when discussion is about the word that I believe could be share to others as well.

I have always envisioned blogs as one of the best platform for people to share their thoughts, what they have learn and their encounter with God that would be deem as a good testimony to be shared to others. Personally for me, privacy has never been an issue when it comes to blogging. I have come to realise that no matter how private we are, there are ways where people will find out. However, I do agree there are certain things that will remain private in our life, things that only we know that others don't. However, I have chosen to be open and transparent in most of my things as I believe that by doings so I be held accountable. Keeping too many things private may soon bog us down as we find ways of not having others know what we have been doing or up to. That is why there was a time I was sceptical about blogging after knowing that different individuals read my postings. I even had friend's mothers reading and knowing about what I do or been through. It was scary to hear of people wanting to know so much about you that I had thoughts to either stop my blog site or change to another one. However, after much thoughts I realise that there is no used doing so as people will soon find out even if I blog or not. But, I have always found fulfillment in sharing and hoping that my sharing will blessed someone or having someone respond and learning at the same time.

It seems that my views on blogging may differ from how others see as for me its more of a platform to share with one another and at the same time be humble to learn from one another as well. We are all going through life together but at different pace. Who knows the experience that we have gone through may help someone or may even encourage someone in their circumstances which may be similar to ours. Its just how we look and view blogging. Is it to fulfill our personal goals or to bless others as well? Just a thought

No comments: