Thursday, August 18, 2005

A Sad State

I went out with my mum today. Being at home while awaiting to start work, I would be occupied with fetching my mum around town, mainly to pay some bills or to stop by the supermarket the get some stuff. We paid a visit to Seremban Centre Point where my mum wanted to inquire about making a new specs. I took the oppurtunity to walk around the mall. Its been quite a while since I stepped into Centre Point. The sight that I saw saddens me.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Shops that I knew were there before vanished. There were countless number of shops empty. Those who were still open seem to sit idle. Business seem slow. Workers seem to outnumber customers. I could see many of the promoter either sitting around or staring blankly at the pile of clothes that were before them. Some made some attempt to keep in touch with fellow promoter around their area. Everything seem quiet and barren. There was not much attraction that would enticed people to come and shop here. Maybe it is a weekday. However, I could foresee that many of the shops I see today would not be around any longer in future if nothing is done about it.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Its quite obvious that management seem to be the key in making sure a shopping complex survive or not. There has to be something that needs to be done in order to enticed shoppers to come. Most shopping complex in Seremban seem to suffer similar fate or atmosphere where most of the time it is empty. This maybe due to the close proximity of KL being only 45 minutes away that Serembanians prefer to go for their shoppings. What is left are just shops that are just trying to survive and cover the cost that is incur at every month. Its quite pathetic and sad to see this happening. However, I do believe that with proper management things can be turn for the better. Its quite an interesting field to venture into especially in the area of shopping complex management. How a place can be turn from nothing into something.

One Utama would be one example. During its earlier days when it just open, One Utama was situated far away from most of the other shopping centres. There were not many people initially and I would have not imagine that it would survive. However, management came into place and they had manage to build the image of the complex by offering a wide range of products and also aggressively advertising its centre to let people know about its whereabout. As time went by, the complex began to grew and in order to compete with other shopping complex like Mid Valley, they decided to expand the complex. Who would have imagine that Bandar Utama would become a shopping hub. Seeing the success of One Utama, other companies began to set up their centres around that area such as Ikea, Ikano Power, The Curve and upcoming Cineleisure Complex, a one stop entertainment centre. As of now, Bandar Utama has become one of the most sought after place to stay as property prices increase due to the many infractructure that have come out of the area. Its amazing how a shopping complex can help develop an area.

Back to where I started, it was saddening to see the state of the complex. However, it did not deter me from walking around to try to see if there were any good bargains even in this complex. Usually, I would walk around and normally end up in either the gifts or housing appliances section. I was quite amazed to see a good collection of photo albums in the gift section especially the self adhensive ones. There were alot of choices there. Prices were relatively normal at around RM21.90 to RM27.90. One of my current shopping list would be photo frames. As many would know, photo frames aren't cheap. I had just graduated and had various length of photos that I would like to frame up. I managed to see a couple of nice ones but decided not to buy any yet as I was in the midst of looking around and comparing prices. Its quite interesting that sometimes one can find some really nice stuff at good bargain in places that may look not so interesting. It goes to show that one need to be adventurous enough to look around even in places where you would not expect you would find something at all.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Photo Albums

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Photo Frames

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
A cute photo frames with some tortoises on it

No comments: