Wednesday, October 06, 2004

A Fulfilling Day

Today seems like a very good day for me. The reason behind this was because I had manage to achieve many things today. It was a good day at work where I had manage to find a solution to the suggestion that was brought forward to me by my supervisor, Mr Soo. I had manage to construct a new interface that would allow the company to make the necessary changes easily if there is a possibility of expansion where new machines would be added or a new setup would be implemented. I decided to remove the option button and implement listbox and combobox to allow the user to make the necessary changes and linked it to the database. The software would then be able to obtain the new format through the database. I retained fields that are unlikely to be changed and used list and combobox to obtained the updated modified information from the database. This had lead me to reduce the number of forms(interfaces) needed for the software. I was able to construct a new "View All Field" form and a separate "Analysis" form that would show detailed representation of data both in figures and in diagrams. Besides that. I also manage to standardized the outlook of the respective forms for View namely "Date-Time", "Machine" and "Defect Mode" that would display an interface that would show the main details, the selected details and an overall result. This would be linked to a standardised "Analysis" form that would reveal a detailed information based on the user's choice of details with the exception of the "Defect Mode Analysis" form which had a different format. However, I have not created a dummy database to test it out although my job specification would not involve me creating the main database. The idea of the project seems beckoning and I have thoughts of getting my hands on the database and also interfacing the database with the machines to pull the necessary data, mainly input and output.

All this ideas and solutions that I have listed would not be made possible if God had not intervened and guided me through. I had only realised the significants of it at the end of the day. This was because of a simple prayer I made at the beginning of the day to ask Him for His guidance and to give me ideas of how to do my project. Its amazing how God answers prayer instanteneously with me knowing until I reflected on my day and realised that He was helping me. A testimony of God's all sufficient grace and wisdom. To God be the glory.

I made a trip down to Cyberjaya last night mainly to pay my first visit of the semester to the CF and to borrow some books from the library as reference for my VB project. This was planned a week ago as I managed to find the best time to come down so as to kill a few birds with one stone. A trip down to KL would involve various factor that includes well being, whether I was tired or not; time, to travel up and down; money, for fuel and toll; objectives; whether I would be able to cover as much grounds as possible in my short trip there. It may seem like a simple trip but there are many underlying factors that at times we fail to see or consider. My outlook on this may be due to my upbringing where I have been trained to look beyond the facet of a situation and consider wherether any actions is appropriate or not. It seem like a very objective thing to do and I feel very strongly about planning everytime a decision is to be made or an event is to take place.

I arrived in the heavily developed area of Cyberjaya at around 7pm. There were a few new things I took notice of on my way to MMU since I was here some 2 weeks ago which include a new construction of an office building in between DHL and Fujitsu building. BWM regional seem to be nearing completion with only the interior and exterior of the building to be done. The buildings in MMU were also making some progress as one of the building structure was completed. However, I seriously doubt the entire phase 2 would be completed after I graduated or my wish to have my convocation in the new main hall would materialised. I did not attend the first half of the CF committee meeting and prayer session as I had to pay a visit to the library to borrow some books for reference. I met Hong Jau and a fellow classmate of mine who were at the ATM withdrawing money. We were surprised to see each other and exchange news of our training with one another. It was surprising to find out that they were still doing researching on microprocessors even after one month. I bid them farewell and hurriedly got myself three VB books from the bookshelf before I headed back to the car to store them. It was already dark then but I managed to spot Eunice, Eileen and Ong who was walking back after their class. My initial mouth wisel to them was not a success but I managed to get Eunice attention who was wondering who in the world was this person. They were able to acknowledge me after I called for Ong and ask how they were doing briefly. At the carpark, I stumbled upon Jia Vern, Nicky and Audrey who were on the way to the CF room for music practice and CC prayer separately. As I emerge into the CF room, some of the CF comm who were in discussion at the back of the CF room were surprised to see me. I sat down and joined them in their sharing and prayer.
Before I came to the CF, I had decided to remained as an invisible figure among the people in CF eventhough my presence would be surprising to many due to my training back in my hometown that would reduce my chances of coming to CF. This was not to draw too much attention to myself. I tried to take a quieter position at the back of room. However, it seems that there was a neon sign telling everyone that "Joseph is Here". Various individuals had come up to me and asked how I was doing at training. I guess many were interested to know and find out what each individual were doing or not doing during training. I was glad to see a few seniors who were still attached to MMU attending CF namely John, the recently promoted tutor for FIT and Kevin, a Research Officer doing his master. Besides that, I was surprised to see Robert, who was called to speak to us today. He was accompanied by the three musketeer namely Justin, Joash and Samuel. It was great to meet this bunch of people that I had come to know during previous IF camps. Meeting like this was a rare occasion due the distance between two campuses but we manage to still make some laughs and both Justin and Joash were cheekily trying to converse with me in "spastic" and producing the jargon "Oh, really!" that my younger sister had so called founded. They were simply amazed with architecture of the Cyberjaya campus and rated it highly compared to Malacca which I found pretty the opposite.

My encounter with people in CF were met by warm reception and cold shoulders. Many were welcoming, some were cold in their reception. It was good to see familiar faces that I had enjoyed being in their company besides the casual chat I would usually have with them online. I was met by loud cries of "Fat One" from Cindy and the "Fat One" herself, Poh Yee from Gopeng. Peik Yin had a new haircut and was proud to see her up in front chairing the meeting without having someone accompanying her. They were a couple of moment when she seem nervous and ended up "praying for the announcement" than "praying for the offering". Other than that, there was a moment when her face litted up into a red blush. Esther spotted a new fringe which apparently looked good and made her looked much younger.

Besides that, it was good to see my buddies Belle who seem to lost some weight and John who was macholy striking the guitar as he accompanied worship, Leona on the other hand was the other trainee around in CF and we exchanged news of each others work. It seems that she is enjoying her work with fast connection speed in the office for download, the chance of working with routers and also the oppurtunity to sleep at work when she is on the night shift. Besides, she seems to get a reasonable pay for all of it. It seems like her internship at NTT was a miracle for her considering that she was not an NTT scholar. Beatrice on the other hand was looking frail but managed to attend CF despite her lethargicness. Annette was around this week and she was sporting a "Malaysian Idle" T Shirt that seem to tell everyone what a prospect she would be in the coming competition. I wish I could name all the individuals that I had meet but overall, it was good to be back in CF again and meeting with the CF people whom I had found much comfort in. My initial response to remained quiet did not materialised as I was back to my old self bellowing with my creepy high pitched chuckle and my loud audacious voice. It seems I can never pretend from being my true self especially when I am in the company of the most comfortable group of people that I had come to be associated with.

Robert brought forward the message of the day "Breaking Social Boundaries by breaking us up into groups for a case study. There were 5 cases all together which were evaluated by two group per case. I was given the number 5 and my group consist of people like Vincent, Dr. Ian, my sis Julia, Tiong, Clement and Leona. The situation that we were given was based on a Christian Chinese family response towards their sons intention to marry a non-Christian Indian girl. The difference in both faith and race needed to be under consideration. However, many of us felt it was a spiritual incompatability than it is of racial. There were two answers which was "No" and "No Answer". "No" seems to inform the parents concern of the possibility their son encountering problem in the future with the unbeliever especially when the plans of getting married seem to be under consideration. "No Answer" would revealed a directive to wait and not say a "No" as an answer. There is tendency to further that relationship with a hope that the partner might come to accept Christ as their personal Saviour. Besides that, visiting the parents of both parties before they make an important decision like this would allow both parties to get to know one another and discuss the concerns that they both parties might have.

Our topic seem to be one of the two serious topic in the list as the others were filled with a humorous solution and approach especially the one regarding about employing an Indian employee from a list of prospective candidates of different race with equal qualification for a brewery company to reach the Indian market. There was also a short debate by one of the newcomers to CF on the situation of having a first year international student from Malawi volunteering himself to be the president of the CF which turns out to be a true incident by itself. The representative for that group seem to be an eloquent speaker with a good command of English and a deep newscaster voice to accompany it who seem to point out his interest on giving the international student a chance at the position. The atmosphere was a bit tense and funny at this moment due to conflicting ideas in approach but Robert manage to wrap up that session nicely.

After a brief fellowship at the end with the some of the people at the CF room, I made my way to HB3 for a quick dinner. The time was nearing 10.30pm and I had initially decided to leave then as I did not want to return back too late due to work the next day. My stay extended to around 11.15pm having dinner with some of the CF people and enjoying the fellowship that I had missed. I arrived back home safely around 12 am. Thank God for His protection and quick reaction as I almost hit the side railing on the fast lane due to poor visibility at one stretch of the road which had just been tarred and the white lines that separated the lanes and indicated the side of the road were missing, which made it difficult to view the road in the dark.

No comments: