Tuesday, October 19, 2004

My Weekend Part 2 : Grandma's 79th Birthday Dinner

I was off to with my sis to KL to meet my parents who were already at the hotel which we would be staying over for the night. My mom still had an extra room to use and wanted to use it before her membership expires at the end of the month. We stayed at Prince Hotel and decided to opt for the deluxe superior suite which was located at the highest level on the 29th floor. The room may seem a big bigger than the previous room we had stayed in. It was divided into two sections, the living room and the bedroom. There were two bathroom. One was near the entrance which was neat the entrance of the door and the other was situated in the bedroom area which was very spacious that one could have mistaken it for a dance studio due to its wide mirrors. It was equipped with a bathtub, a wide wash area with two basins facing a huge mirror, a toilet bowl, a "washing backside" bowl and a shower area within a glass enclosure.

I personally did not like the set up of the area as I felt the space had been deprived due to the wall that separated the living room and the bedroom which was connected by an open door. This made the buildup of the room to be relatively small and cluttered up. I would prefer a spread out area without much visible boundaries. However, I must admit the finishing of the room was first class as it was adorned with goodquality wooden panelling, colourful soft carpet and even an automated curtain drawer equipped with a remote. The only thing that I had failed to utilise in the room was the free broadband connection. The thought of bringing my laptop slipped my mind although knowing about it when I was here previously. All in all, it would be an idle place for two person to stay in. It seems quite a romantic place to be in especially for its wide bed that could sleep three and the enormous bathroom where I could imagine a couple spending a huge amount of time in it.
After a quick bath, my family and I got ready to travel to the destined restaurant to meet my grandma, uncles, aunties and my cousins. We were to have our dinner at Noble House which was situated along Jalan Delima adjacent to Imbi. It would seem like a very posh place to be in as we drove up into the area where valet parking seems to be the only option to put one car. My dad left us at the entrance and went to the back of the place to find a reasonable parking place. The place seems different as the entrace brought me into not an open place with chairs and tables but a reception area where there were covered rooms everywhere. It seems like the concept of this Chinese restaurant was based on an enclosed private room concept. It kind of reminded me of the old chinese movies where one enters into a so called restaurant and hotel cum brothel that had private rooms at the bottom and the top of its place. Our room was easy to find as it was the first room situated in front of us as we entered the entrance. There, we found my grandma, Auntie Yee Fun or Ah Mui as we are used to call her, Uncle Yee Hoe and wife.Uncle Yee Kiat, Auntie Chin, Ah Mei and Kok Hong entered later into the room making up for the 13 of us. We exchanged greeting and soon food was served. It was an incrediable dinner that left me in awe, both in taste and price. The list included;

Three Chosen Treasure
( three spoons of lobster prepared in three different ways with a lobster head as decoration)Seafood Soup
(an individual bowl of soup that contains a piece of sharkfin that was not shredded, crabs, sea cucumber and other delicacies served with beansproat and )
One Whole Abalone
( a whole abalone served in clear brown sauce with brocollis at the side)
Steamed Cod Fish with Chillis
( a piece of cod fish that was accompanied by clear saltish sauce top with chillis blending two flavours in one)
Roast Piglet Skin
(a serving of three nicely roasted skin of three piglet)
Roasted Piglet Meat
(this was from the piglet we had ate the skin of which was fried again)
Hand Made Noodles
(a very fine noodles that does not stick to one another which reminded me of pasta cooked with chicken meat and some garnishing)
Pear stuffed with Snow Jelly in Sweet Syru
(p/s : No available photos for the food as it was not appropriate to take the glorious food although I wanted to. Name of food is just a guess as I couldn't remember the real names of the dish and decided to made it up.)

It was an experience to savour. Both my sis did not really like such exquisite food and prefer the ones you would find at hawkers instead. As a result, most of their left over was passed on to me which I gladly accepted. It was pretty interesting to hear the different topics which was tabled during the dinner session. The topics includes our features to feng shui and to studies. It was quite common to keep up to date with one another as we hardly get a chance to meet with each other except during Chinese New Year. I kind of realise at the moment as I sat beside my cousins, Ah Mei and Kok Hong that I was not very close to them. What was more surprising was that my sisters and I are do not have cousins that we can say are very close to us. It seems like we were close within our family and not beyond that. Its quite puzzling for me at times when I compare and wonder why others have such a good relationship with their cousins or even familiy members. It does boils down that we hardly did spend much time with one another while growing up and this has cause a gap in the relationship although we are related to one another. We seem not to know each other and our presence seem foreign to one another. Besides that, its hard to make a conversation as the conversation does not really progress but stops after a question have been answered. Its hard to build back the rapport between family members especially with my cousin and I wish I have a chance to do that.

I did not sleep very well that night due to a bad cough I was suffering. It seems to get very bad at night and dad had to wake up in the middle of the night to give me some hot water to drink which had help the cough and allowed me to sleep. My family did not go to church on Sunday morning and it did felt a little strange as we do not usually skipped church on Sunday. However, we did not go due to time factor and the availability of a church nearby.

(***Pictures will be up shortly***)

No comments: