Saturday, September 30, 2006

Firefighting

Its been quite a tense week. An atmosphere I kinda like considering the challenges that comes with it and also it break the normality of work. I always like things to be different. Variety. That is why I find diversity, a trade you find in Malaysia interesting to me.

Its been a week since I had been assigned to join the Profile and Security team. I can say that I volunteer to be apart of this team considering the need of starting one. For me I know that complaining about something which does not work, does not help anyone at all unless you step up to the plate and try to do something to rectify that problem.

This idea was suggested during my last GPA. However, it never materialise until an issue require it to be set up. Its ironic at times how ideas are only actioned when something happens. We had failed an audit check prior to third quarter signoff. A hoohaa was created. We were got into a room to discuss on an issue that had brought about the failure. This was followed by another meeting to come up with strategies in dealing with it.

One of the interesting I had taken notice is how three managers went about dealing with it. There was one who was explaining the complexity of the issue and trying to get feedback on how to deal with it, another was defending the process that we had in place and how it was difficult to achieve perfection while another took notes and tried to see the route cause of the issue. I asked myself who am I in the eyes of those three leaders. I guess it would be the latter as I would sit and hear what others have to say before bringing up my points.

I feel at times things are done in a rash. Many times wanting a quick solution but not planning on achieving a suitable process that would bring about less implication in future. Everything seem to NOW.

We need a solution NOW.
We need to change something NOW.
We got to start doing something NOW.

Plans are left aside and at the end of the day, we are just dousing a flame not putting in place a rescue effort in tackling a wildfire in fire. It just amazes me at times how different leader have different way of working. There is no one correct method. Many of times its just preference we choose in order to get the job done which would work best for us. There is more to learn about leadership. I am beginning to with all the web based training I had enrolled in. Pretty interesting.

No comments: