Friday, September 08, 2006

Out of the City

In the big city. Crowded. Traffic jams. Expensive.

Its been two weeks since I temporary relocated to Damansara after my week break. I was here to join another collegue of mine to support GSAP (Global SAP). A different environment. An environment I feel so foreign. Its just different. Probably I've been so comfortable of Cyberjaya for all this years, studying and working in the same place. Big roads, spacious cubicle, happening work culture. Food is something I dare not comment.

Working in Damansara requires one to spend at least 2 hours on the road every day. Unless if you want to beat the traffic, I had to wake up earlier just to avoid the hassle. Fortunately, shift starts at 7am but I am normally there by 7:15am. Next hassle would be parking. If I am not early, I won't be able to get a place at the Wisma Chase Perdana parking lot which cost a staggering RM15 a day (fortunately its claimable). Missing the boat would mean parking my car at Wisma Antah which is the white building coming into Shell which cost even more. My maximum charge I had previously was RM36 a day. See the comparison.

Offices around Damansara are not as spacious as compared to Cyberjaya, thanks to the vast land they have. Here, building are close to one another. Cubicles are even smaller as well. It is where the business people reside. One of my discoveries is people in Damansara do not seem to know the people working on the same floor. This could probably due to the fact that the floor I am in is the transit point, where come and go from here. There is no permanent collegue neither are there any permanent desk. Most of them are in the project team where they come in and out of office. Staying in the office from a project point of view is never a good thing. The rapid changes of people coming in and out of the office deter one from getting to fellow floor mates. Its no wonder I feel so bored at times as the place is relatively quiet. Coupled with low request coming into the queue, its no wonder I had time to update my left behind blog.

Besides the downside that I see in Damansara, there are still some good side to it. Food is applenty in this side though at times maybe a bit pricey. Lunch at Wisma UOA or vegetarian at Wisma Help carpark are some of the places to eat. Walking to this places indeed have help lazy people like myself do a little exercise along the way though it would soon balance out when the food comes in. I never knew Help existed here as well since my recognition of the college would be in Pusat Damansara which is a stone throw a way. Its interesting to note that most of the people around this area are female. I repeat female. Probably this is due to the industry which resides in Damansara. Most of the people here are in the finance or accounting sector, which explain the huge ratio of female to male. This is indeed a different sight as compared to IT where the ratio is pretty balance favouring the males. That is why coming to Damansara can be culture shock for some. Not forgetting good looking females as well which may shock some as well.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It was a relieve to know that my two weeks tenure here was to end and I would be returning to the land of Cyberjaya. Though I would may miss the good food (in comparison to Cyberjaya) and the good looking ladies here, Cyber is still the place I want to be. When I heard about the news that we were not going to shift to Damansara, it was a sigh a relief. I am willing to forgo good food than to be caught in the rat race where crowd and jams would cause me to hit the roof.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

No comments: