Sunday, October 22, 2006

A Journey Through The Scriptures

Time 9.30pm. I was late. My initial plan to wake up at 8am for church went down the drain when I saw the time. It was already too late for me to go to church considering that I intend to visit Acts Church, the church I attend when I'm working weekends. By the time I get out from bed and have a quick shower, it would be already 10am and by then, the service would be mid way. So, I decided to get my Daily Bread and do my devotion with it before I headed out to the nearest shop for lunch and I'm on my way to work. Its rather rare that I do my devotion. I do admit this and hope to be able to do it consistently which I fail most of the time. Sigh!

Well, today devotional material was about, "It is finished" which spoke about Christ death on the Cross and His purpose on Earth. It is true that we have dreams and most of the time these dreams are hard to realised. We have plans, dreams and resolution penned out yet its so hard to accomplish all we have set out to do. Distraction come into the picture and find ourselves deviating from what we have set out to do. At times, I do find it frustrating but I guess it takes alot of perseverance and faith to have our dreams realised.

The passage of the day was taken from John 19:25-30. I decided to read the entire chapter just to know what it is all about. There were many thoughts that went through my mind at the point of reading it.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The law was mentioned. It seems that the law had been used by the people to fulfill His destiny on the Cross.

Pilate believed that Jesus was indeed the King of the Jews. It explains why he procrastinated with the public on Jesus cruxifition to a point that he could even make a decision of not letting Jesus to be crucified. Pressure from the public drove him to make a decision of crucifition yet he made it a point to uphold Jesus among the people who were against Him.

What is significance of Gabbatha (Stone Pavement) and Golgotha (place of the Skull). What is the relation between these two places?

The details of the prophecy to a point it describe the action being played out.

"Let's not tear it," they said to one another. "Let's decide by lot who will get it."
"They divided my garments among them and cast lots for my clothing."

Jesus said, "I am thirsty."
A jar of wine vinegar was there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put the sponge on a stalk of the hyssop plant, and lifted it to Jesus' lips.

"Not one of his bones will be broken,"and, as another scripture says, "They will look on the one they have pierced."
But when they came to Jesus and found that he was already dead, they did not break his legs. Instead, one of the soldiers pierced Jesus' side with a spear, bringing a sudden flow of blood and water

The preparation of Jesus burial was arranged by two man named Joseph of Arimathea (disciple who feared the Jews) and Nicodemus (a member of the Jewish ruling council, Pharisees). What is the significance of these two men with Jesus's burial?

Alot of revelation can be expounded from this passage. Its funny how I have begun to appreciate each verse the Bible have. Never have I appreciated it that much. I wonder why at the time have I begun to display an interest in the words that is spoken. Its not that I don't before but appreciating it which makes me wonder what it means.