Friday, August 13, 2004

3 Guys, A Girl and A Year Older

I had manage to have lunch with Leona, Beatrice and Kae Ee after posting a status online asking anyone in the cyber nation that would like to eat. It was a rare occasion to meet up with people from Cyberia for lunch or dinner except maybe the weekly meetup at CF or birthday celebration. At times, I feel that there seem to be a missing link between people from Cyberia and Hostel. Its hard at times to meet up because of the distance and due to convenience, it is much easier for us to mix around with people near to us. Even for myself, going to Cyberia would be a hassle. However, if there is an oppurtunity to mix around I would not mind joining or even organising things for such fellowship.

We went out to Dengkil to have lunch at one of the shops. It was already nearing 2pm and most of the food were almost sold out. We couldn't be choosy but chose the shops that had some pork to savour.

I went back and did some Java Programming. Speaking of which, Beatrice thought that I had programed one of my slides with the Friendsters background in Java. It did fool her but I didn't want to take the credit to myself but told her honestly that it was just a simple print screen technique. Anyway, attempted my assignment that I had to hand up the following day. I did had some reference for it but decided to type it all out again and modify to make it works. It was a hassle to go through the program, compile it and finding errors popping up everywhere. The challenge and the interesting part was identifying and eliminating those errors. A lot could be learned if we write it our own by refering to books or other materials. I didn't want to just take someone else work and copy it. Its a culture for many in MMU to do such but I asked myself one day, what would I learned in the end? Just the basic cut and paste technique that we have grown so accustom to that we do not even feel any wrong fo doing such.

Later in the night, I attended an MMCG (Makan Minum CG) gathering at HB3. We were there to celebrate the foursome birthday kids namely Desmond, Wee Liem, Jia Wern and Alicia. Many people gathered to celebrate their big day. It was a normal and simple affair. We ordered our food, sat and ate, fellowship, wish them all, cut cake, sing song and departed our own respective ways. Many of us couldn't stay for long as most of us have exams in the coming weeks. Mine is oretty far off as I still ahve two more weeks to go. The more time we have the more we take time for granted.

Wee Liem, Desmond, Jia Wern and Alicia (clockwise)
Studies have been rather slow. Manage only to finish what I started yesterday though I went through some codes that might help me cover other chapters. I am concentrating on my Java as I didn't really do that well for mid terms. Hearing Mr. Lam mentioning that its going to be a programming based exams, I quickly harkened to his advice to start practicing.

I ended the day by watching a very interesting documentary on TV3 that depict the life in Iraq and what it is like to be under Saddam Hussein governance. It was an interesting thing to learn who he is and where he is coming from. What was even more compelling was this journalist who went to the war torn country to interview the people to get a first hand account of what Iraq is like.

No comments: