Thursday, February 19, 2004

18 February 2004

I woke up early this morning only to feel so stupid that I realised class was cancelled when I reached there to an empty class. I totally forgot about it. However, it was worth the journey there. I manage to meet my best friend and also get myself a pack of nasi lemak and teh tarik for breakfast. The only class I had was a replacement at 11 am for Digital Computer Design. The class was barely half full. Maybe a lot of them forgot that there was a replacement.

Went over to HB3 with Terry was lunch. The both of us usually have lunch together. However, our dual company outnumbered as some of the CF people began to arrive for MMCG (Makan Minum CG). It has always been a trend in CF to have gathering such as this be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner or supper. Today, the number was less that expected. Some of them had CG lunch cum meeting. Others might be occupied with work that they couldn't make it.

I spend my afternoon updating the remaining days of my blog. Finally, everything is in order. I hope to keep this up daily so that I wouldn't have to rush through what I wanted to pen down. It was also pretty amazing that I manage to find a way to show pictures on my blog. After seeing Terry blog, I decided to do some linking to my blog in order to allow pictures to be seen on it. Besides blogging, I also tried my hands on my Matlab Lab Report. I have ACA to do, which is due next week. With retreat coming around the corner, I had better try to finish as much work as possible so that I wont have to come back and get myself into a last minute scenario. As evening drew near, I decided to take a jog. However, this time I decided to jog in campus as heavy clouds and the sound of thunder began to loom over the sky. My jog was soon halted by trickles of water. Although it was a short one, it was still worth the effort.

Batik Workshop

It was a pretty interesting night for me as I attended a Batik Workshop organised by CCIP. Although the workshop was supposedly full, less than half of the number turn up. I guess the reason could be due to the rain or many of them decided to attend the Wings of Borneo, a cultural show on Sabah and Sarawak. After a brief introduction to the things needed to do batik painting, it was time for the master, Mr Arwan to show us the deftness of this art. Armed with a canting, he steadily drew a flora motive unto a piece of silk. It was really a fine piece of drawing. Imagine drawing without having to trace by pencil first but using the wax immediately. The colours were soon added to it and it gave life to the painting that was drawn. He made it so easy but now it came the time for us to practice what we learned and saw from the master.

It was simply not as easy as we saw. Each of us were suppose to draw a motive. Looking at the example before us, I came to understand that most batik painting revolves around flora and fauna. As I decided not to do something familiar, I started tracing a comic character instead. It was that easy to follow the lines that we had drawn earlier with the canting, My lines were thick and incomplete compared to Mr Arwan's which was smooth and thin. Colouring was a bigger obstacle for me as I was finding it hard to mix the colours around and to give a tone to it. However, to my surprise the end result wasn't that bad. When it finally dried, I began to see the beauty of my masterpiece. I notice most of the other people's motive was so much better off than mine, but I decided to stick to mine and be happy about it because my motive wasn't alike the others. It was really fun to just colour without thinking and just enjoying the whole session all together. The expression on the faces of the participants was mix, some were serious, and others were enjoying themselves. It was a waste to see not many people participating in activities such as this as they were offered without any payment. In addition to that, I manage to learn the art of batik and also enjoy myself.

Me and "Me"
Work of A Master
Master and the Apprentice
Who's your DADDY? I'm a SUPER FLY!!!

No comments: