Monday, February 09, 2004

26 January 2004

I woke up pretty late this morning. However, thank God that I was well and wasn’t having those weird feelings. Maybe all the gas in my stomach were released out as I sleep, not so sure in what way. I had plan to start rummaging through my books but one thing turn to another and I never got even near the cover of my books or pages of my notes. I ended watching a movie on TV. It was quite an interesting movie called “The Pact” over Hallmark. The story revolve around 2 childhood friends who grew up to be lovers in the end. Although it seem like a beautiful picture painted, it started off tragically with both lovers agreeing to a pact where both of them will kill themselves. However, only one is killed and movie trailed the life of the girl with her narrating to the audience why she choose to end her life like that. I felt it was a really stupid thing to do considering the fact she blame her parents for planning her life for her. But did it had to end like this?

“The Pact” – Understanding The Parent Role

One point that came across to me while I was watching is parents can be so concern about the safety of their children, making sure that everything is alright and that nothing will happened to their kids that they forget to learn, understand or even know their children for who they are. Is this how parents play their role? I tried filling in the shoes of the parents and reflect on my parents as well and I guess it’s common for parents to worry about their children and their future. They try their best to make sure they have everything, a good home to live in, a bed to sleep, food on the table, good education, a secure occupation and also a perfect family. But is that all we do as parents? I’ still trying to understand a lot of things, things that my parents even do that I don’t even have any idea why they do it. However, I believe that everything that they do has a purpose and sometimes its good not to question about the reason behind but just obey. I can assure you that at the end you will realise why they do it and I have personally some things myself. So the quest to learn to be a good parent in the future starts now, not when you decide to have children only.

Hallmark, Discovery Channel Travel and Adventure and TechTV are the channels I normally turn to whenever I’m in front of the box and even since my parents decided to have Astro in the house. Besides that, recently the newly launch TV station, 8TV had caught my attention due to its creative displays of adds and interfaces and also programmes that are line up which is suitable to my taste eg. music, latest entertainment news and TV series. I reflect back on my days as a school going kid where I would be glued to the TV for hours. There were many times when my mom would comment that I was so into the TV that I could memorise every single show that were listed in the papers. Now, I’m not that an addict due to my presence away from home and where I don’t normally have a TV set in my room to watch in campus. The nearest source would be to stream in from the intranet but guess its not my lifestyle now when you have other interesting things to do in campus rather than sit in front of the TV. However, whenever I have a chance to indulge in my past addiction when I’m back home, I’ll take that chance.

Over the evening, I had some juniors from school and uni and also some of sister’s friend over at my house. Its kind of strange that I’m having other people except peers of my age visiting me or me visiting them. Most of friends that I’m close to are mostly not in Seremban or are in overseas studying. I guess I haven’t been really keeping in touched with them also and maybe that’s why sometimes I find it hard to find people for even for mamak. However despite the one age gap, I’m able to communicate with them and also to enjoy one another company. The fellowship didn’t stop at my house only but we continued it by visiting Kai Fatt’s and Su Yin’s place. Two houses maybe a little to many but I had fun playing some new found games at Su Yin’s place; Shoot Me and She Likes. Both that requires one to observe and not be paying attention to the distraction that is obvious to the eyes. I ended being the last one in the group to get the pattern for She Likes, but I guess some of us are pretty slow with guessing game. At least, I had people like Huei Wen who was equally slow to the previous game. Overall, it was a nice night thought in my heart I felt kind of guilty for not having to start studying. A good fellowship for all of us especially for those who be leaving to overseas, like Huei Wen to the land down under.

No comments: