Tuesday, February 17, 2004

4 February 2004

Wednesday always seems to be one of my free days where class starts at 9am and end 2 hours later. Mr Ezra Morris came in to replace Dr. Chuah (fortunately!) after taking 3 chapters. He started teaching Chap 6 surprisingly. I was late for class and didn’t catch why he started on that. I kind of like hearing him teach because he is one lecturer who doesn’t just lecture but causes you to rationalise and understand what he is talking about by making it practical. Small elements that we don’t think is necessary to pay attention to he stressed upon. There weren’t many people in class that morning, one reason I didn’t know. But indeed it was really thought provoking even though I was sitting behind the class as usual.

Speaking to the an Empty Room

I sometimes pity lecturers in a way of how when they ask a question no one seems to answer them. I find it rather disturbing if not rude for some to ask a question and we pretend not to hear him. Its like talking to a wall or something lifeless. This non responsive nature is mainly due to our culture, us being Asians that we are afraid to speak even if we know about it less we loose our face. Its so pathetic sometimes to see it happened and yet we don’t to anything about it. I am guilty myself too but sometimes I don’t know how to respond in that manner. I guess it takes a lot of guts to speak what you know and not shrivel up like a tortoise it its shell. I really do hope to make an improvement in this area, mainly to break the stigma. As I write this I cant help but remember a story a church member told to me when she was in Singapore studying music where she took the initiative to merge the fine arts and music student together although it had been a taboo not to mix the two together. Her initiative spark a new understanding between the fine arts and the music student that there weren’t different but same in many ways. I hope to make a different in uni before I leave. This are some ways that I can start getting my hands on.

Testing : Part 1

It was a very long and dry day. Everything seem to pass by very slowly. Spend the whole afternoon and evening preparing for my paper in the night. At times, I was restless and began to let my thoughts run wild. But then, looking the amount of things that I needed to revise through got me back on track once again. Test came and entering the exam room I could only expect nothing but to face my greatest fear, INTEGRATION. The whole paper was almost full of it and I wasn’t really prepared to face it. It was practically deducing equations after equation and although it was rather simple but it involve exponential and that’s where I was kind of confuse about. Tried my best to get over it though I knew I would not be doing so well in this paper. I used to love doing maths when I was younger. Coming to university change all that. Now I am just scraping and learning just to survive for exams. Hope I will be able to practice more in preparation for finals. I was pretty calm after coming put from the exams as I guess I was not alone. Many people came out fretting about the paper. Guess, we all think a like.

A Dominos Effect

It was not long before my sorrow turn to joy. Terry and me quickly made our way to Prof. Chacko residents for CG. I was rather surprise when I reached there as I saw a lot of people who were familiar to me. We had a combine CG with OHANA in conjunction with the Chinese New Year. Guess, the different thing about today’s CG was FOOD. Wee Liem manage to get for us 2 beautifully pack Yee Sang, which he bought from Carrefour. That was not all the food we were about to feast on. Six large and one small box of Dominos Pizzas of assorted flavours were laid out on the table subsequently. I really had to thank Kenneth for buying it as he brought the world to the lost tribe, figuratively speaking. Everyone had 2 slice each. Guys were normally faster than girls when it comes to food. By the time we finish our second, they were still munching on the first. I could see that they were feeling the pressure at the point as the guys were hurrying them to take their second or waste it to the hungry pack of pigs that were waiting before the table. The last pieces of it was finish by playing a simple game of “Lat Ta Li Lat Ta Li Tam Pom.” It was strange though that people from Ipoh calls it “ La La Li Li Ta Li Tam Pom.” It sound pretty out to me. I still prefer my version.

A Night With The Boys

The night of feasting didn’t end just there for me. I manage to call a few of friends for supper after having not hanging out with them for quite a while, especially those who are staying off campus in Putra Permai. I called on my friend to accompany from hostel and we met up with Terry, Ah Fui, Khang Yee and Kai Nian. These were some of my close friends I kind of grew up together or should I say stayed together for some of them for 2 years in hostel. I missed those times when we used to hang out at HB’s foodcourt having lunch or dinner and just chilling out with crapping being one of our favourite types of conversation. Every time I meet with them it always brings joy to my heart as we be chatting and laughing till our brains spew out. We headed down to Rashmir or Milo Kau for supper. Had a nice time chatting and laughing although we were swamped by a colony of mosquitoes partly due to Mathan all black attire. A nice night to end especially after exams. However, I can see this joy short-lived as 3 papers awaits me the following week. Can’t imagine what it would be. Better not imagine at all.

No comments: