Monday, February 09, 2004

24 January 2004

I’ve receive a long distance call today as early as 7am, I think. The call came from my phone that was in my room. Fortunately I was awake at that time as had trouble sleeping due to some itchiness. It was my uncle Nin Kiew from Melbourne, Australia. As my family was still sleeping at that time, I had a short chat with him with me relaying the greetings to my family later. Slept back after the call and woke up around 11. I heard my family already having their lunch downstairs already. Can’t believe I slept that much considering that I slept early the night before. Dreamt about myself being on top of a cruise ship and that I was a captain. Had a pretty interesting group of people on board and how I manage to get off board the ship into the sea and manage to catch a fish with my bare hands. At that instant, it reminded me about Gollum from epic movie, Lord of the Rings.

Today, I was going to be at home most of the time. Due to the pass few days of helping out at grand’s and also visiting relative in KL, I decided to stay at home and just relax or maybe just felt lazy. Turn on the TV and manage to catch 2 interesting which got me thinking a little.

Reality Sells
(adapted from E! Documentary on the life of EMINEM)

The documentary depicted the life of Marshal Matters Third aka Slim Shady aka Eminem. It revolves around his life as young boy growing up and how he was brought up single handedly by his mom after his dad left the family when he barely turn 1. Life was tough for them as his mom and him we constantly shifting from one trailer to another due to the limited income they had. Growing up in a small town of Detroit was pretty rough as they were staying in the midst of run down neighbourhood where crime was considered a norm. Adding to that, he was a subject of bullies in school and at one time almost got died from wounds inflicted on him though he manage to pull through. His rise to fame as a rap artist wasn’t a flash in a pan. He had to prove himself by attending different rap battles both underground and also the World Championship. His eloquent rap skills caught the attention of many especially Dr. Dre, a prodigy in rap arena that can be compared to the likes of Snoop Dogg and Warren G. From then onwards, he was beginning to enjoy the success of stardom as his album were beginning to rake in millions. Besides that, he was even obtain a Grammy for Best Rap Album and also an Oscar for Best Record of the year although ditching the latter event . With so much success, it wasn’t really a bed of roses. He had his share of problems behind the curtain. A troubled marridge, a daughter to take care and also bad habits that got him into trouble. Coming to senses, he began to take things more seriously now. Has he overcome and turn over a new leaf? We have to wait and see.

I began to wonder as I watch this documentary. Someone who is full of crap was beginning to gain the attention of many and what’s more his albums are selling like hot cakes considering the profanity and questionable opinions he projects in his songs. I believe the reason why he has gain so much recognition is because he project his real self even if it means telling people how bad you are. Eminem is an artist respected by many because of his transparency. I realise people are drawn to people who are true themselves and project what they are rather than being someone else or somebody whom people want them to be. It is so common nowadays to see many people wearing all kinds of masks. Sometimes, there are so good in wearing masks that they are able to hide themselves and project a different personality that you hardly can recognise. Life is a stage. We have many actors out there, some even capable of even gaining an Oscar for their actions. I notice that in many Christians as well. They try their very best to project a Chris-like figure without having to understand what Christ is first and applying it in their life. I have vow to myself not to wear a mask that wouldn’t project who I am and what I was made for. I want to be myself in front of people, both in public and in private. Its time for this generation today to know who they are and be not ashamed of what they are. If we as Christian would be true to ourselves, how much more influence would we be able to make to the people in the world instead of Eminem, who incites hate and anger where we can spread love and joy to those who are constantly in bondage, someone like Eminem himself. As Mr Mano used to say, sometimes the people on stage are more real than the people our there in the world. Acting isn’t becoming another person, it is becoming yourself and showing people who you really are. Let’s get our act together and start acting on the stage of Reality.

Similarities Attract?
(adapted from the Making of Samurai)

I was watching the making of the last samurai on tv which stars Tom Cruise and was seeing the success of this multi-talented actor. I began to compare him with his ex wife, Nicole Kidman. Ever since the split, both of their career have surge to a higher level. I’ve began to realise that their acting capabilities have become more refined considering the numerous nominations and awards under their belt. At that point of time I began to realise what a perfect couple they really were? But if they were perfect, why the split? I began to see the reason why they had to split in order for both of them to progress to where they are now. It is hard to be together when both person wants to progress at the same time. Competition will arise and it would be very difficult for either one to progress because both will try to dominate one another. One will eventually succeed and the other party will compromise. I guess both Tom and Nicole are very individualistic person who prefers to do things on their own to succeed. The though of being together as a couple instantly hit me. Do opposite attracts? Many people believe so. On the contrary, I’m not a total believer myself. It depends on situations as well. I believe that when finding a life partner both have a part to play in complementing one another, be it in work or character. That is why a married couple are often pictured to be two soul who are bounded together to become one.

The rest of the afternoon wasn’t filled with much of activities. I decided to start writing my journal today but in vain, I didn’t manage to write much less finish a day also. Had some visitors over today, a friend of my father who use to work in the same company as him before and also the Ng family who are my parents closest friends from church. As I was preparing to go out for dinner, Terry, Jaemy, Joycelyn (Terry’s siblings) and Lena wanted to drop by my house. I decided to entertain them while I ask my mom to take away some dinner for me.

The night was pretty mundane with me sitting in front of TV watching whatever show that pass the screen. Didn’t really want to do anything at that time, though I had loads of journals to write. Plus, wasn’t really in the mood to start studying as the Chinese New Year mood was still very much apart of me. I guess festivity really can cause many people to feel not like doing anything but to just relax and enjoy it.

God’s workers smile at trouble, gather strength from stress and grow brave by reflection and prayer.

No comments: