Thursday, December 09, 2004

Korean Drama Invasion

Korean dramas has created a storm among Asians viewer as they sit in front of the television every day. The following is so huge that Korean language classes are being offered in Japan. Throngs of people visit Korea every day to catch a glimpse of the location where dramas such as "Winter Sonata" was shot. There was also a stampede in Japan where a few woman were hurt when a famous Korean celebrity stopped by for a promotional visit. The Korean movie industry is indeed booming. I too can say that I am a victim of the Korean Drama Invasion.

I have recently began to follow a new Korean Drama called "Jewel in the Palace." It would be my second Korean movie that I have followed during my internship. The story revolve around a girl who intended to work as a palace waiter in hopes to become the head of the kitchen. The reason why I like the show is because it revolve around food preparation. Waiters are trained to prepare the necessay ingredient and also learn the different types of dishes which are fit for the emperor. Besides that, there is also alot of political issues that revolves around the palaca officials and those in the higher ranks. Other than that, the actress are very pretty with deep and beautiful features. One of my favourite is Lee Young Ae who reprise the role of Changjin. I could not believe when I made a search over the net and discovered that she is much older than she looks.



The other thing I like about the show is the Korean costumes which are colourful yet proper. The clothes are baggy and they cover from top to bottom without showing any flesh or cellulite of the person wearing it. Simply elegant. I hope to find out what the Korean costumes is called. It seems that I have always taken a liking for tradisional Asian woman costumes. There are beautiful, neat and elegant yet do not expose much flesh. Besides that, I like detail and intricate design that are woven in the costumes. My favourite include the baju kebaya Melayu, baju Kebaya Nyonya, cheongsam, qingpau and the tradional costume of Vietnam (not sure what its called.) It does show that woman can look beautiful without the need of exposure.

No comments: