Sunday, December 05, 2004

Walk Thru

On 30th of November, I embarked on a journey that would take me 30 days to go through the Old Testament. My first day had to deal with reading about the Creation from Genesis 1-3. One of the interesting about reading this 3 chapters was regarding about the role that God had given to both man and woman after they had disobeyed God by eating the forbidden fruit. It was then that God punish both man and woman. Man would no longer had the priviledge of eating from thr furits that were provided but needed to work the land in order to eat. Woman would suffer in conception during child birth, their desire to their husbands and husbands will rule over their wife. God had given roles to both man and woman in order to live.

My journey to the Old Testament was shortlife as I had not continued from then after. It was not because I had given up that very quickly but because I was distracted or excited reading another portion of the scripture. Before I had embark on this journey, I was reading the New Testament. I was literally hooked on reading what was written and manage to finish the book of John and started on the Book of Acts. It was so interesting that I had taken some time of from work especially when my mind could not think further to read the Word. One of my collegue who happened to see me reading the Bible was surprised as this was the first time he saw anyone read the Bible in public. I was honoured to have been seen but there was still some shyness in me about it. I hope that as I begin to read the Word that I would be proud to read it and be bold enough to say, "Yes, I am reading the Bible. It is the best book I have read."

As I began to read the book of John, I understood why the Bible was called the Book of Life. The bible is not just a book that spoke about God, it is a collection of experience that that various people experience in their life before, during and after Christ. These were the stories of how different people from different background experience God. Many of them had similar problems and difficulties that were similar to problems and difficulties that we have. Though most of this had happened many thousand years ago, the problems and difficulties were similar in nature. That is why we have often been encouraged to look into Word if we are confused or faced tough struggles in life. However, the Bible i not a book where we can pick and search for out problems and try to follow the ways of those who had gone through it. God have a definite way of dealing with us in a special way. That is why we have come to understand that God is personal with each one of us.

The other expect I had gatherered from reading John was about Christ. I had come to realise that Jesus came down to earth not merely to save our sins but to give us an example how we could have a relationship with the Almighty God. Jesus constantly showed that He had always depended on God in whatever situation it may be. One good example is to be crucified on the Cross. Jesus questioned God but obeyed knowing that it is God's will and He obeyed Him with a willing heart. He showed the perfect example of what it meant by dying to self, living for God. His obedience and sacrifice caused many to believe that God wanted to have a relationship with us. I understood about the Trinity a little bit more. I had questioned before how could 3 different being be called as One. The answer was obvious. They had a relationship. The Father, The Son and The Holy Ghost.

No comments: